Emmaus Historical Society chicken dinner, 5 to 6:30 p.m. prior to the October program at St. John’s Lutheran Church Parish Hall, Fifth and Chestnut streets, Emmaus. The program is “On My Honor” – the history of Boy Scout Troops in Emmaus. There is a charge for the dinner and tickets must be purchased in advance. For more information, call 610-966-6591 or visit www.emmaushistoric-pa.org.
The Oct. 3 edition of The Press featured photos from the Herbein’s Fall Festival with a photo of a woman offering face painting to patrons. Barbara Graff’s name was misspelled in the photo caption.
In the Macungie column in the Oct. 3 edition of The Press, the Macungie Halloween 2 mile Fun Run had an incorrect start time. The start time is 6:45 p.m. Oct. 27, prior to the Macungie Halloween parade.
The Press apologizes for these errors.
At the Lower Milford Township Supervisors meeting Sept. 20, Assistant Township Manager Zach Cooperman, estimated one more month of work is needed to repair reported damages caused by flooding the weekend of Aug. 11.
Snovitch voiced his satisfaction with the progress.
“Everything is on schedule, the road crew has everything under control.”
Cooperman noted the majority of the roads within the township are now safely passable.
In 1943, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was president, Ingrid Bergman and Gary Cooper lit the silver screen in the Oscar winning version of Ernest Hemingway’s “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” Silly Putty was invented, the 1942 Emmaus Hornets football season had ended in four wins, five losses and one tie, according to the Tattler yearbook of 1943 and George T. Wentz opened a plumbing supply store at 225 Main St., Emmaus.
The store would morph into Wentz Hardware and remain a fixture in Emmaus for the next 75 years.
On Oct. 31 the store will close.
Members of the Macungie Borough Council met at the Macungie Institute Oct. 1 for its regular meeting.
The ongoing rental inspection ordinance was approved for advertising. This ordinance includes a checklist of items to be verified which will be beneficial to neighbors and the borough eliminating overgrown weeds, poorly constructed buildings and other areas of concern to neighbors. This ordinance eliminates the need for code enforcement which was suggested can be invasive. A public meeting is scheduled Nov. 5 for citizen input to the ordinance.
The first official day of fall brought brisk weather to the Lower Milford Township 16th Annual Fall Festival this year. The well-attended event took place on the township grounds Sept. 22 and showcased local vendors, farms and crafts.
Along with children’s activities and live entertainment, the festival offered a silent auction, carriage rides and tractor rides. Local businesses in attendance included Hausman’s Fruit Farm, Macungie Mountain Herb Farm and Limeport Deli and Market.
At the Sept. 20, Lower Macungie Township Board of Commissioners meeting, the Stone Hill Meadows Phase 2 was approved.
The township previously approved a subdivision of a 101.23 acre property, having an address of 3611 Gehman Road consisting of 24 residential single-family lots known as Stone Hill Meadows Phase 1 on March 3.
The Emmaus Heritage Alliance, whose members include the Emmaus Historical Society, Shelter House, Knauss Homestead, 1803 House, Emmaus Public Library, Emmaus Moravian Church, Emmaus Remembrance Garden and Emmaus Main Street Partners, recently welcomed community members and visitors to the Emmaus Heritage Festival.
At the Oct. 1 Emmaus Borough Council meeting, it was announced the developers for the potential convenience store on Cedar Crest Boulevard will be at the planning commission meeting Oct. 11.
Emmaus Borough Manager Shane Pepe said the planning commission will focus their attention on the land development piece and the plan being submitted and whether or not it fits within the land development ordinances.