“Thank you for saving my life,” were the first words cancer survivor Jennifer Newland, 47, of Roseto, spoke to her colorectal surgeon John S. Park, M.D., as she rushed to embrace him at a colon cancer community information forum held March 7 at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest.
Newland was at the forum as a testament that colon cancer, caught early enough, can be overcome.
St. Thomas More School students have been assuring that patrons of the overnight warming center at the Allentown YMCA get an evening snack to tide them over until morning.
The students’ families have been providing protein bars, crackers, applesauce containers and other provisions for the students to place in decorated paper bags for distribution at the center which provides shelter and beds during the winter nights for those who have no other place to stay.
Students throughout all the grades decorate the bags with caring messages and positive thoughts.
A new inpatient pediatric unit opened last week at Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital on the fifth floor of the Fred Jaindl Family Pavilion on the Lehigh Valley Hospital’s Cedar Crest campus.
The unit features 30 private rooms and has a number of amenities and features designed to give young patients a comforting place to get well and families space to support young patients during their hospital stay.
Firefighters from six area fire departments responded to a smoky fire shortly after 1:30 a.m. Dec. 25, 2018, in the 700 block of Walnut Street, Emmaus.
Dense smoke was pouring from the structure, causing first-arriving Emmaus firefighters to declare a second alarm to request mutual aid. Firefighters from Western Salisbury, Vera Cruz, Lower Macungie, Alburtis and the Woodlawn fire departments responded.
An Emmaus man who survived what is usually referred to as a “widow maker” cardiac arrest in July, was reunited with the first responders whose fast and effective emergency response restored his heartbeat and with doctors who performed cardiac intervention measures at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest.
Torrential rains which fell in Salisbury Township neighborhoods in the 10 p.m. hour Nov. 2, caused severe flash flood conditions along Lehigh Street at the South Mall, overwhelming drivers and trapping occupants in waters that rose to roof level in the vehicles.
Observers said rushing waters filled the intersection from all directions, rising so rapidly that vehicles started to float and drivers could not navigate the intersection. Firefighter/rescue personnel from Western Salisbury Fire Department and Eastern Salisbury Fire Department converged on the scene shortly before 11 p.m.
It all began shortly after 4 a.m. Oct. 23, when a tractor-trailer driver with a cargo of more than 1,500 gallon containers of antifreeze pulled over to the shoulder of Interstate 78, at the Summit Lawn exit, atop South Mountain, to try and put out a small brake system fire.
With only small hand fire extinguishers, that firefighting effort didn’t turn out well and the trailer was quickly enveloped in flames.
Area residents meandered among fire engines, aerial ladder trucks and other emergency vehicles, played games, watched demonstrations, picked up handouts, munched on pizza and hot dogs and enjoyed a perfect weekend day recently, at the Lower Macungie Fire Department’s annual open house at Brandywine fire station, along Sauerkraut Lane, in Lower Macungie Township.
Firefighter Andrew Miller, one of the event’s organizers, said he was expecting a crowd of about 1,000 visitors, after early-morning showers gave way to a perfect fall day.
In their annual effort to emphasize the importance of fire safety and fire prevention to youngsters in schools located within Salisbury Township, firefighters during the week of Oct. 8 took time from work, or other activities to assure the community’s youngest citizens are aware of ways they can help themselves and their families be fire-safe.
National Fire Prevention Week is held annually in early October near the anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire.
The Lehigh County 911 Center dispatched Emmaus Fire Department and Western Salisbury Fire Department firefighters to a reported garage fire in the 900 block of Glenwood St., Emmaus, shortly after 5 a.m., Oct. 10.
Emmaus Police Department patrol officers were the first on-scene and reported a “working fire.”
Emmaus Fire Departments engines and crews, followed shortly by Western Salisbury Fire Department firefighters, attacked the intense fire, which had fully engulfed the structure by the time the engines arrived.