Article By: Jeff Moeller Special to the Press
Despite some possible weather woes, April is the typical month when races across the Lehigh Valley and neighboring area tend to take shape. This spring has proved once again to be a bearing one with the possibilities of productive summer and fall seasons ahead.
Emmaus recently celebrated the 40th anniversary of its 4-mile classic April 9. A total of 361 runners participated in ideal conditions in the annual race that runs through the town. Proceeds from the race benefitted the Ed Thompson/ Nicole Reinhart Memorial Scholarship fund.
Ian Walsh won the race for the third consecutive year in a time of 20:02 and a pace of 5:01. Jessica Paholsky was the top female finisher in a time of 24:30, a 6:08 pace. The youngest racer in the field was 12 and the oldest was 79.
A 1-mile kids’ race began the festivities. Clalum Harvey, 10, was the top male finisher, and Virginia Kraus, 9, topped the girls’ division.
“It was a beautiful day for a race,” said Leslie Billowitch of the Lehigh Valley Road Runners, who organized the race. “We had a good turnout and a great tradition to keep going.”
The LVRR will begin its Summer Series, a collection of monthly races from May through September at the Lehigh Valley Parkway. The series includes a no-frills 5K race that is a great way to stay in competitive shape. For more information see www.lvrr.org.
Also in May, Easton will hold the Weyerbacher Hill 5K challenge on May 13. More information is available on www.runlehighvalley.com.
On the same day, the sixth annual Rock N’ Run 10K and 5K will be held at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown. Information of the race is on www. active.com
The following week, Cetronia’s Great Ambulance Chase Run, Walk and Dog Walk 5K will be held on May 20. More information is also on active.com.
Another great half marathon race in the future is the annual Philadelphia Rock and Roll Half Marathon on Sept. 17. It typically attracts more than 20,000 runners and it runs through the Philadelphia streets and also passes through areas such as the Art Museum and Zoo. Personally speaking, this is a great race to train toward during the summer months.
More races throughout the Lehigh Valley and beyond can be found of www.runningintheusa.com and also on www.raceforum.com. Over the next few months, updates on races and training tips will be provided. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
With the winter months officially behind us, it is time to hit the streets. Remember to always watch your diet and properly hydrate at all times. and never stop running.
EMMAUS 4-MILER RESULTS
1. Ian Walsh (Easton) 20:02, 2. Trevor Van Ackeren (Bethlehem), 3. Doug Farber (Easton), 4. Michael Browne (Easton), 5. Brian Lovett (Allentown), 6. Tristan Schmidt (Emmaus), 7. Adam Soriano (Tamauqua), 8. Sean Fenoff (Hellertown), 9. Mark Ayres (Quakertown), 10. David Wong (Bethlehem).
1. Jessica Paholsky (Emmaus) 24:30, 2. Krista Hohenshilt (Mertztown), 3. Kelly Bracetty (Macungie)
1. Ian Walsh (Easton) 20:02, 2. Trevor Van Ackeren (Bethlehem), 3. Doug Farber (Easton).
1. Lisa Shutkufski (Macungie)
1. Brian Lovett (Allentown)
FEMALE AGE 10-14
1. Sarah Honsel (Nazareth), 2. Beka Brosky (Alburtis), 3. Lizzie Cacace (Coopersburg).
MALE AGE 10-14
1. Tristan Schmidt (Emmaus), 2. Matthew Chaikowsky (Bethlehem), 3. Geoffrey Kleinberg (Emmaus).
FEMALE AGE 15-19
1. Alexa Chaikowsky (Bethlehem), 2. Makayla Weatherspoon (Bethlehem).
MALE AGE 15-19
1. Adam Soriano (Tamaqua), 2. Sean Fenoff (Hellertown), 3. Ryan Spack (Allentown).
FEMALE AGE 20-24
1. Ali Brosky (Alburtis), 2. Mikaela Dewalt (Emmaus), 3. Aleza Buzela (Orefield).
MALE AGE 20-24
1. Micah Mathena (Zionsville).
1. Beth Luff (Emmaus), 2. Kim Reichard (New Tripoli), 3. Jessica Heffelfinger (Lehighton).
MALE AGE 25-29
1. John Palencar (Jonestown), 2. Steven Kuchera (Orefield), 3. Edward Prentice (Bethlehem).
FEMALE AGE 30-34
1. Elodie Burlet (Bethlehem), 2. Erin Hiestand (Whitehall), 3. Jessica Link (Emmaus).
MALE AGE 30-34
1. Mark Ayres (Quakertown), 2. Mitchell Gesell (Allentown), 3. Matthew Pierfy (Bethlehem).
FEMALE AGE 35-39
1. Kathryn Brown (Allentown), 2. Christina Roberts (Macungie), 3. Shannon Eddinger (Bath).
MALE AGE 35-39
1. Michael Browne (Easton), 2. Andrzej Trela (Allentown), 3. Krzystzof Burek (Alburtis).
1. Sara Nansteel (Lehighton), 2. Jessica Harrington (Emmaus), 3. Cheryl Settle (Schnecksville).
MALE AGE 40-44
1. Ryan Werling (Center Calley), 2. Dave Weikert (Bethlehem), 3. Kevin McCartney (Macungie).
1. Denise Stevens (Center Valley), 2. Janice Stout (Allentown), 3. Jackie Bolig (Bethlehem).
MALE AGE 45-49
1. David Wong (Bethlehem), 2. John Evangelista (Blakely), 3. Timothy Silverstri (Coopersburg).
FEMALE AGE 50-54
1. Corinna Heffelfinger (Palmerton), 2. Jocelyn Johnson (Emmaus), 3. Tracy O’Toole (Bethlehem).
MALE AGE 50-54
1. Rob Gallagher (Quakertown), 2. David Smith (Hellertown), 3. James Rahm (Allentown).
FEMALE AGE 55-59
1. Beth Folio (Allentown), 2. Eileen Maguire (Emmaus), 3. Sofia Howard (Allentown).
MALE AGE 55-59
1. Egolf Thomas (Allentown), 2. Nick Maiale (Emmaus), 3. Tim Blangger (Allentown).
1. Lori Adams (Bethlehem), 2. Jeri Sturges (Bethlehem), 3. Donna McLaughlin (Walnutport).
MALE AGE 60-64
1. Louis Juran (Nazareth), 2. Terry Fenoff (Hellertown), 3. Rich Adams (Bethlehem).
FEMALE AGE 70-99
1. Mary Ann Balascki (Allentown), 2. Molly Sebastian (Emmaus), 3. Christiane Torchia (Center Valley).
MALE AGE 70-99
1. Jim Rehrig (Nazareth), 2. Robert McDonald (Stroudsburg), 3. Carl Basahaw (Allentown).